Saturday 15 June 2024

GR11 Day 9, La Mina to Refugia de Lizara

13th June

I woke up last night as it was too hot then a little later the sky cleared and the temperature dropped like a stone.

View from the tent in the morning 
Woke to a frozen tent and a clear blue sky. When the sun had cleared the hill the frost vanished so I could pack up dry.

The walk up the valley had plenty of cows and for the first time I saw a couple of bulls and some calves.
Cows everywhere 
There is a bothy after a steep climb to the Achar d'Aguas Tuertas at the head of the valley where it opens out to a huge area of marshy water meadows.
Gate at the pass
Another steep climb to a 'hdden valley' with another water meadow.
High meadow
Yet another steep climb to the high pass with snowfields at Puerto de Bernera at 2115m.
At least the snow was soft
It had been ideal walking weather today but the wind coming up the valley forced me to put on my jacket! Marmots and Chamois again today with a rather interesting bird that I failed to identify.
The scenery today was incredible and the sunshine made it perfect. The snow fields at the high passes were ok as the snow was soft, it would have been a different story if it was frozen!
Chamois 
Descended to the Refugio de Lizara where they had a bed, food and drink. What more could you ask for.
Descent to the Refugio de Lizara 
After discussion with various people, lucky there was a Spanish speaking English girl there, I think I will use the GR11.1 tomorrow to avoid a couple of passes over 2200m that seemingly have a lot of snow.

No comments: