Tuesday 11 June 2024

GR11 Day 7, Gorda de Xio to Izabar.

 11th June

A damp night, the cloud was down to camp level and while I don't think it actually rained everything was very wet.

A beautiful rainbow as I got away from the hill on the way down to Ochagavia.

The Saturano de Muskilda high above Ochagavia has an old cobbled path leading down to the church and the old part of the village.

Couldn't get into the chapel, it was locked

Ochagavia 
The newer section is along the 'main' road and river which I crossed to start the long climb into hills again.


The 'Roman' bridge
I met two hikers, one Swedish the other American but living in Romania and after walking together for a while they stopped for a rest, needless to say I carried on.
Along the top
The walk from Ochagavia was mainly on a track that climbed, steeply at first then more easily, to around 1300m, continued at this level before leaving the track and going down very steeply through more beechwood to Izabar.
The never-ending track
I had a view of the GR11.4 high route over the mountains ahead with a big snowfield on the north side of the top. The route goes up the ridge so should avoid the snow but I think I'll wait and see what the weather is like in the morning. The main GR11 route does go an easier way!
The first real mountains 
Staying in another hotel tonight, enjoying the comfort and prices.
View from my balcony




Some figures from the first week (including the first days short walk)

Total milage 97.4
Average 14 per day

Total ascent 6000m
Average 860 per day

For anyone interested in such things the phone tells me that's 42000 steps per day.

3 comments:

andy said...

Well done, Roger. I have changed from my school Phillips Atlas I am now following you on a bigger scale tourist map,- really enjoying you photos and hard work.
Andy and Joy

Phreerunner said...

I've only just spotted you doing this Roger. Well done!
I stayed in Hotel Ezkaurre on 22/6/15. The next day had two good summits - Otrazo and Eskaurri, and I finished atCamping de Zuriza.
Here's my blog - others have found it useful:
https://phreerunner.blogspot.com/search/label/Pyrenees%202015
by the time you read this you may be around here:
Friday 26 June 2015 - Pyrenees GR11 - Day 12 - Wild camp at Plano d'a Rinconada (1870 metres) to Sallent de Gállego (Hotel El Reyno)

Andy said...

The houses look almost Bavarian, Andy