Saturday 15 June 2024

GR11 Day 10 Refugio de Lizara to Villanua

14th June

A beautiful morning, not too hot and a nice breeze, as I said goodbye to Charlie and Emma at the Refugio.

Refugio de Lizara 
I confirmed my decision to do the GR11.1 as everyone was worried about the higher route without crampons, also I could avoid Candanchu which didn't look very exciting from pictures and this was confirmed by Martin's blog.

Two high passes with very steep ascents and descents, the second to the impressively named 'Collado de la Madalena o del Torbillon' was a particularly steep switchback, although it is possible to drive on a track for many miles to the 'bothy' here.
Steep 
A long descent firstly on the open hill and past another dolmen. The dolmens here seem to be on the list of tourist attractions but I suppose that having been to Orkney other things like this seem insignificant.
I only went slightly wrong by following a cow path instead of the markers, soon corrected.
The scenery however is spectacular 
An interminable descent through the forest made even longer by my decision to go to Villanua where I had found reasonably priced  Hostal. Planning a short day tomorrow with plenty of cafe stops!
Villanova 


1 comment:

Phreerunner said...

I think you've diverged a bit from my route here. And I had a 'holiday' in Panticosa. Take care, don't overdo it, enjoy the coffee stops, and beware of 'heat'!
Good luck
M