Sunday 9 June 2024

GR11 Day 5, Sorogain to Burguete

 9th June

It rained all night, not heavy but enough to get everything soaked. I heard some thunder in the distance but slept well despite some horse bells nearby.

Albergue de Sorogain 
There was a strong north west wind driving the rain and low clouds, in fact it felt more like Scotland than Spain. Not surprising really, I was at 3000ft.
The top of Mendianudi (1213m)
With Spanish trig point
Followed the river down to the Albergue de Sorogain, which was shut, no extra breakfast today.Climbing up the hill I stopped to watch a damp pine marten nipping in and out of clumps of beech scrub, must have been a beech marten!?
New concrete track 
A shortage of pictures over the top as I couldn't see anything but coming down I came across a new piece of concrete road leading to a cattle drinking trough also with a concrete surround, all this at about 1000 meters.
Track towards Burguete 
There was still continuous light rain as l approached Burguete and I went into the nearest bar/restaurant for coffee and to drip on the floor.
Burguete 
My original plan was to stock up in the shop here and go on to a high camp at about 1200meters. However, camping that high with the rain and cloud as it was didn't appeal much and more importantly I discovered that the shop was shut on Sundays.
Making use of the hotel room
There was a cheap hostel but the hotel was reasonably priced and I thought it would be nice to wash stuff and spread out tents etc so I decided on the hotel. Hostels here don't seem to have the same drying and communal facilities that they do at home.

Procession 
To pass the time I walked up the road to Roncesvalles which is the the start, or a port of call, on the Camino de Santiago. I met a procession coming down the road with a priest at the centre, with megaphone, singing and praying as they went. The police even had the road closed.
Roncesvalles 


The rain stopped in the evening and there was even a bit of sunshine, hope for tomorrow?

No comments: