Monday 17 June 2024

GR11 day 12, Below Pico de Anayet to Sallent de Gallago.

16th June

Another bright and sunny morning and it wasn't too cold last night, I could get used to this!

The valley headwall
A steep climb zigzags up the headwall of the valley which looked impossible from below.
Anayet
There was a dolmen close to where I camped but I couldn't cross the river without getting my feet wet and it was probably only a pile of stones with no entrance now.
Pic du Midi d'Ossau (in the distance, and in France)
The views from the Ibons de Anayet to the Pic du Midi d'Ossau are spectacular and as the guide book says 'probably the most photographed mountain in the Pyrenees'.
And another one 

The area around the lake is good for camping and there were probably twenty tents up there! Glad I camped before there.

The way down
It was a lovely Sunday as well and there were loads of walkers heading up there as I walked down towards the Anayet ski complex.
You can see why it's a popular place for a walk
You have to follow the road to Formigal but there is a path of sorts on the hill alongside it. Formigal itself was very much a winter holiday village and mostly closed for the summer.
Approaching Sallent de Galliago 
Sallent de Gallago is a pretty little village and was just winding up its weekend festival of 'Witches Myths and Legends of the Valley de Tena'.
The lake at Sallent
I managed to buy a new buckle to replace the one on my rucksack hipbelt that had disintegrated and also some microspikes for the high passes ahead. They were cheaper here than the UK.
Sallent de Galliago 



.

1 comment:

Phreerunner said...

I stayed at Hotel El Reyno.
The next section was brilliant.
The staff at Rif Respomuso didn't know how easy the conditions over Tebarrai were. I hope you enjoy it. (Have enjoyed it by the time you see this.)