Friday 30 June 2023

Day one hundred and nineteen- School House Bothy to Benmore Lodge

 27th June.


The day started well with a breeze and high cloud but the wind dropped, the rain started and the midges came out.

I was joined in the bothy last night by two gap year students from New Zealand who were bike packing around Scotland and an undergraduate studying music in Birmingham who is walking Jo'G to Lands End. He is going ultralight, not even carrying a stove!
A straightforward walk today, down to Oykel Bridge.
Where I called into the hotel to see if they did breakfast for non residents and was told NO. I have found the Oykel Bridge unhelpful in the past as well and the notice on the door saying the bar wasn't open to non residents has only confirmed my opinion.
I did meet a staff member outside who said that breakfast was at 8.00 which was fine as it was 9.00 by then, but reception could have said that rather than NO.
The rain came on soon after I started walking up beside the river, not particularly heavy but continuous, the sort that seems to get in everywhere.
Gascon Cow
It was a short days walk, as I was doubtful of finding a place to pitch if I went much further,  so I had been hoping to use up some time in the hotel.
The only trail marker on the Way
Had to spend the time zipped up in the tent listening to the rain and watching the midges trying to get into the inner tent.
Benmore Lodge
I did get a phone signal at Oykel Bridge and was able to confirm that the firing range on Cape Wrath is not being used at the weekend so hope to be there on Saturday (1st).
Picture taken the next morning!


14.5 miles walked 400 meters ascent.

No comments: