Tuesday 13 June 2023

Day one hundred and five - Glencoe to Glen Nevis

 13th June.

Scorchio again with rumbles of thunder and when I got to Glen Nevis the ground was very wet but I only had about three spots.

Down to Glencoe 
A lovely night and morning, a good breeze so no midges no sun so not too hot and the view down Glen Etive was breathtaking.
Buchaile Etive Mor 
It was really hot at 9am climbing the Devil's Staircase over to Kinlochleven on the West Highland Way.
I missed the crowds as I was early enough to be ahead of the Kingshouse starters and the Kinlochleven ones had started before I got there. Just a few people walking north to south.
Kinlochleven, with pipe leak.
Down the track to Kinlochleven following the pipelines from the Blackwater Dam for the last bit to the turbine houses where the electricity was generated for the Aluminium Smelter back in the days when we made things.
The outlet from the turbines or 'tailrace'
A quick stop at the co-op for some milk and a cinnamon bun and I was climbing up the hill over to Glen Nevis.
Looking back to Kinlochleven 
It seemed to be getting hotter and hotter on the path especially when I lost the shelter of the trees but I wanted to push on to the Glen Nevis campsite.
Yesterday I lost the end of one of my walking poles and rather than damage the aluminium have been using a stick from the forest. Today a dragonfly took a fancy to it.
Looking up Glen Nevis
The campsite was fairly busy but I intend to stay here tomorrow as well so that I can get stocked up for the Cape Wrath Trail in Fort William, and hopefully get a pole end , as well as doing the washing showering etc.
A long hot day.


22 miles walked 1500 meters ascent..













No comments: