Wednesday 7 June 2023

Day ninety eight - Kilennan River to Port Ellen

 6th June.

Unexpectedly it was a damp and windy night and the in the morning the cloud was covering the tops, at least the midges were blown away!

Climbed up into the cloud to Being Bheigier, the highest point on Islay but couldn't see a thing.
I did find a good pair of antlers on the way up but after a long debate with myself decided they were to heavy so left them behind.
Along the top then very steeply down to the road along the coast.
The first port of call after about six miles of minor road walking was Ardbeg, my favourite distillery, I was not disappointed.

 

I savoured the free dram and then felt obliged to buy one as well.
Had to leave as there were another two distilleries to visit down the road.
There is a good cycle/foot path that follows the road from Ardbeg all the way to Port Ellen.
The next stop was Lagavulin where I had a really good 12YO cask strength dram.

On then to Laphroaig as I had to get there before the bar shut.
An excellent 12YO cask strength 2021 bottling, I should have bought a bottle!
Port Ellen then where the hotel and café were fully booked so went to the Co-op and dined with a sea view.
Put the tent on the grass between the beach and the road as the sun was going down, ready for the ferry in the morning.
It wasn't all whisky today.



17 miles walked 700 meters ascent 

4 comments:

Andy said...

Oh Dear, life is tough sometimes! Have a dram for me. Ok, two then! Andy

Phreerunner said...

Yes, another tough day, perhaps a bit hazy towards the end...
Keep it up, Roger!

Roger B said...

I had to find something to do while waiting for it to be late enough to pitch the tent as well. Definitely a tough day.

paul said...

It would have been great if you could have finished your walk wearing those antlers.

It's not like you haven't earned them!