Sunday 25 June 2023

Day one hundred and fifteen - stayed at Shenavall Bothy

 23rd June.

Weather was a bit grey in the morning but after a couple of light showers it stayed dry and quite windy.

I miscalculated how far I would get a few days ago and booked the Youth Hostel in Ullapool for Sunday night, I was unable to change it so rather than camping in Ullapool on Saturday I decided to stay at Shenavall.
I packed up everything and left a lot of stuff in the bothy before crossing the two rivers and climbing straight up Beinn Dearg Mor.
Probably not a very sensible route, at one stage I said to myself "Roger, if you slip here you're going to die!" but it was good fun.
A fantastic hill with arguably the best views in Scotland, pity my pictures are so poor.
The cliffs on the North side are equivalent to An Teallach on the other side of the Strath and with the big Fisherfield hills to the south plus the sea and islands to the north who could ask for anything more.
Steeply down a tricky steep, loose slope to the bealach and then an easier climb to Beinn Dearg Bheag.
I sat on the top sheltered from the strong wind and contemplated life the universe and everything for a while before going back to the bealach.
The descent is steep but straightforward to the Lochan and on down to Loch na Sealga.
A walk beside the Loch, wade the river again and back to the bothy.
Looking back at the ridge
There were two people there who are staying the night and I was told there is heavy rain forecast. I had to decide between the tent in the rain or staying in the bothy with the chance of a crowd arriving in the middle of the night as it is a Friday.
I decided on the tent, probably the wrong decision!
No, correct, eight other people and a dog arrived just as I finished eating!

9 miles walked 1450 meters ascent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing pictires dad and yes be careful on those rocky bits!