Saturday 27 July 2024

Toulouse to Nantes 27th July

27th July 

Not much to say about today. Travelling to Nantes on the bus. There was a problem with the trains in Bordeaux with bus replacement services and the bus is much cheaper!

Olympic protests seem to be targeting the railway as well so the bus is probably a better option, at least you are guaranteed a seat.
Toulouse bus station 
Stopped at a motorway services, equally bad if not worse than British ones.
Typical horrible service station 
I was wondering how to get into town from the bus station until we got there and it is next to the tram stop, now that's what I call joined up thinking. Even better the tram's free at the weekend.

The hotel is in a rather sleazy black street near the railway station, well I did go for the cheapest I could find, so I went to check how the trains were running. The station was being patrolled by a squad of soldiers armed with submachine guns. They are obviously taking the threats seriously.
Nantes 
The temperature here is positively cool, only 21° and cloudy. That's more like it!

It even started raining as I went for a look round the centre. Everything is so much better when it's damp and cool.

The castle is good with battlements that are quite good for taunting, could just do with a bit more height.
The cathedral from the castle 
Did the tourist thing and went into an Irish bar although I had a pint of Cornish 'Proper Job' IPA.
Cathedral 
The Cathedral here is closed for restoration as well but very impressive on the outside.
I do like a flying buttress!
The town is full of tourists but feels better than Tolouse somehow although there are as many apparently homeless.

Maybe it's just that I don't like the south, I much preferred north west Spain to the south east.


No comments: