Wednesday 31 July 2024

Brest 30th July

30th July

There was a some rain forecast for today but it never appeared, just a bit of cloud.

Empty tramway 
Spent the day wandering about Brest, didn't do everything I intended but not worried!
Major tramworks
I was going to take the tram as it's easier to work out where it's going but it has been shut down for six weeks while they connect a new line to the system.
Seen in a bike shop window 
I still have legs that work though and I could walk the tram route without getting run over. 

I went to the other side of the town to the Jardin du Conservatoire Botanique National de Brest.

Chinese Sequoia 
This is an old quarry that has been turned into a park/garden to display plants from all around the world.

I daundered down through the park admiring the landscaping until I found myself at the beach, perfect, just in time for lunch at the Trimaran. Not actually a trimaran, just a restaurant.
Nice quiet beach
Graffiti on the road bridge
A wander around the marina, a different one this time, then back up through the park to visit the glasshouses where they are doing conservation work on plant species that are endangered or extinct in their natural habitat.
Hibiscus

Pitcher plant
It was hot outside but in the glasshouse, particularly the rainforest one, the humidity was high as well and I certainly noticed the difference.

A fascinating collection of plants mainly from the French colonies but elsewhere as well.

Desert plants
A walk back to town then with a detour to look at the cathedral, relatively new. with some excellent stained glass.


There is obviously a lot of sin in Brest as there are ten confession boxes, at least one being manned,or should that be preisted?, all day, every day.

Back to the hotel then to collect my rucksack, that they had allowed me to leave, and a walk to the railway station.
High speed train at Morlaiux 
The double deck high speed train to Paris was taking me as far as Morlaiux, which didn't take long, then a bus to Roscoff, rather slower.
Mud
Roscoff is overpriced and full of Brits, but at least there is a proper harbour that dries out!

Harbour protection 

No comments: