Tuesday 23 July 2024

Spain 23rd July

23rd July

Another extreme temperature day forecast as I packed up the tent and headed for the town again. I wasn't sorry to see the last of that campsite, there just wasn't a lot of space and it doesn't feel right not camping on grass.

Camping Port de la Selva 
My plan was to take the bus to Llança, leave the rucksack at the hostel and take a train to Figueres.
Leaving El Port de la Selva on the bus
Like a lot of my plans this went wrong fairly early when the bus didn't stop where I expected it to and carried on to Figueres.
Figueres fruit and vegetable market 
I didn't want to cart my rucksack about so got a return train ticket back to Llança to drop it off.
One of the plazas in Figueres 
Back in Figueres again I started trying to find my way about. It is a large town, considerably bigger than anywhere I had been for a while and full of people.
Figueres street scene 
The main reason for going was to see the Dalí Theatre-Museum and it appeared that it was everyone else's as well.

The Dalí Theatre 
The exhibition was excellent but there were so many people there it made it awkward to see everything sometimes.
A centre piece 
It deserved a lot longer visit than I gave it, the crowds and the temperature drove me out. I bought the guide book which probably explains everything better than looking anyway.
Wall art!
After recovering with water, coffee and a muffin I went in search of the Toy Museum. Hardly anyone there and the air conditioning was just about coping.
Meccano
It was full of toy displays from the early 19th century onwards, great stuff! and I could take my time to see everything.
A collection of teddy bears
A quick look in the church, a big gothic building, fine architecture but nothing of significance that I could see.
The church

A supermarket for something for dinner and the train back to the hostel, convenient as station and hostel are adjacent. The only snag, and there has to be one, was that the train was delayed and it meant waiting on an unsheltered platform for an extra ten minutes, doesn't sound much but try it in that heat.

A bit of dragon slaying in the street
Hopefully my room mates won't snore too much.
A graffitied train (is there such a word?)


No comments: