Sunday 21 July 2024

GR 11 Day 46 Llança to El Port de la Selva

20th July

Very high temperatures forecast again today so I planned a short walk over the hill to El Port de la Selva. I won't put the temperature warning in again, but it was there 🥵

More arid hills 
I probably should have done an early start again but living in Scotland has affected me and having already paid for breakfast I wasn't going to go without it.
Looking back to Llança 
It was already scorchio when I started the climb up the hill from Llança and the first section was in full sun.
Nearly at the top 
Luckily after a short climb the path was in a gully and slightly shaded, there was also a slight breeze. Some great views back to Llança and the Mediterranean.
Winding roads and old terraces
Over the top and down to the Monastario de Sant Pere de Rodes, a very impressive restored ruin, but I didn't go in for a look, just enjoyed a rest in the shade and a bottle of cold water from a machine.
Approaching the Monastario 
Saturday again so lots of cyclists fighting their way up the switchbacks and speeding back down again, must be crazy in this heat, almost as crazy as walking it!
Cyclists heaven?
A great route down to the coast, partly on the road with some steep shortcuts avoiding some of the zigzags.
Steep path to cut the zigzags 
Arrived at a heaving seaside resort with the temperature at 31°, definitely far enough for today.  
El Port de la Selva 
I thought I would go out to the campsite, get organised and maybe go back to the town and beach.
Busy swimming pool 
By the time I had pitched the tent, had a shower and jumped in the swimming pool the temperature was 36° and even though there was a strong southerly wind raising the dust I just couldn't summon the energy or interest to go.
Outside the bar 
The forecast for tomorrow is cooler with thunderstorms, sounds like much better walking weather, meanwhile the pool and bar are the best choice.
A bit of shade behind the hedge
Sitting in the shade with a 40 km/hr wind, it's like a giant fan heater, no problem drying anything!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you had better shorts for the pool 🙈