Friday 5 May 2023

Day sixty six - Bollington to Chapel-en- le- Frith

 5th May.

Weather was much better than the forecast and it stayed dry until mid-afternoon, then only showers.

Geese on the canal
I had a change of plan today, I was going to camp at Edale but all the sites were fully booked and I thought it could be difficult to find a spot nearby so opted for a short day and a stop at Chapel-en-le-Frith.

I wandered along the canal and re-joined the North Cheshire Way to Lyme Park.
Deer in Lyme Park 
I didn't visit the house and garden, maybe I should have? But continued up the hill on the Gritstone Trail.




Over the hill by the Bow Stones, two late Saxon stones that were probably boundery stones as well as devotional objects.




Down to Whaley Bridge in time for lunch.
Whaley Bridge 
It started to rain a bit as I left the town to climb up to Eccles Pike and there was a nice rumble of thunder but it didn't come to much, It looked much worse over Manchester way.

A wander down and around Chapel-en-le-Frith and I should be rested and ready for the Pennine Way in the morning.



13.5 miles walked 600 meters ascent.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Looks like varied and interesting scenery,- especially the goslings. Andy