Saturday 27 May 2023

Day eighty seven - Over Phawhope to Daer Valley

 26th May.

Another bright sunny day and very warm. The other bothy dweller never spoke and only grunted when I wished him good day as I left.

The road away from the bothy
I had walked about two miles when I suddenly thought I had left my rubbish bag in the bothy. I had a debate with myself about going back for it but in the end the carrying on faction won.
The watershed at Ettrick Head
When I stopped for five minutes at Ettrick Head I found the rubbish bag, good job I hadn't gone back.

There is an unusual footbridge a little further on before starting the climb to Croft Head.
Looking back from the climb to Croft Head
The last time I came this way I took the alternative low route through the forest due to the weather and it was great to get toth views today.
Meadow Pippet's nest
Down to Moffat where it was very hot out of the wind.
Got lunch, gas, provisions and some insect repellant (Smidge) before heading for Beattock and section of road walking.
Looking back to the A74(M) corridor 
Back to the forest and hills, although there is a lot less forest with all the felling going on, releasing all that stored CO2 so they can get all the grants and allowances for carbon capture by replanting. Maybe I'm just being cynical.
On to Brattleburn Bothy, I didn't stop but kept on up to Beld Know and Hods Hill where I met two people heading for the bothy. I suspect that it would have been a very sociable night if I had stopped.
Daer Reservoir 
There were some works going on and the road across the dam was closed but it there was no one about so I managed to circumvent the security fence and take the shortcut.

Up through the woods and along a hill path where I met some people out for an evening stroll and had to explain once again that 'No I'm not doing it for charity, only sanity'. I found some water and went on to pitch on nice soft mossy patch.
Only slightly midgy
At least I'm going north again, at Beattock I was 17 miles south of Kirk Yethholm!


21.5 miles walked 1400 meters ascent.

No comments: