Saturday 1 April 2023

Thoughts on the first month


Well how is it all going?

I am where I thought I would be by the end of the month which is a good start and, apart from a slight wobble the other day, feeling generally better and fitter now than at the start. 

I really don't know what I think about all day but between my random musings, the sights and sounds around me and occasional conversations I am fully occupied. My memory being lousy I have to keep checking the map as well, and still end up going the wrong way!

As far as the weather was concerned the first few days of the month were reasonable but on day six I changed into my waterproof trousers and have worn them every day since. The wind has been quite strong but temperatures reasonable, only a couple of nights of frost. I haven't had much luck with hills and got drowned on Bodmin Moor, Exmoor, the Mendips and the Black Mountains only the Quantock Hills were kind to me.

Wild camping is tricky around the more densely populated areas and most campsites were not open, so between that and the rain I have used more b&bs than intended, that's my excuse anyway.

Equipment is doing well, shoes still very comfortable although I should have started with a new pair, they have now probably done over 700 miles and are just about done, a new pair are waiting for me in the next week or so. The Tarptent Notch is excellent but in very high winds the rain is driven under the flysheet, not as bulletproof as the Akto. My rucksack which was new for the trip is perfect! (Gossamer Gear Gorilla). I replaced my ultralight waterproof stuff sacks for heavier ones in Crickhowell!

The high points?

Meeting long lost friends, the South West Coast Path, crossing the Seven Bridge, the Black Mountains horseshoe (in a rather masochistic way), in fact probably all of it apart from the horrible walk into Keynsham.

The low points?

Nothing worth mentioning except the mud.

Looking forward to the next month 😊 


Total distance walked 525 miles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty epic! So glad you’re enjoying it. Been good following along.

Glad you’ve avoided trench foot even though it’s been the wettest March in over 40 years.

Sunshine a-coming. J

Unknown said...

yay reached the 1 month mark! well done and glad your having fun still! xx ness