Thursday 20 July 2023

The end.

 19/20th July.

The journey home started with the bus to Stromness and Ferry to Scrabster, all very painless. 

Stromness 
Set up on the campsite and had a look at the town. Nothing of particular note except the Museum which has some fine Pictish stones and a fascinating section about the Dounreay Nuclear Facility.

The following day I was packed up and waiting at the station for the Inverness train and got talking to three people from North Wales who were doing a train tour around Scotland, it's always nice to hear other people's opinions about the  country.
Thurso Bay
I have mixed feelings about going home, part of me wants to go on walking but having completed my plan I'm not inspired to go anywhere else from here. Orkney is a great place but probably better with a bike, or kayak, as a lot of people on the campsite were doing. If the weather had been a little more encouraging a few days walking on Hoy might have been good, but not really part of the journey.

There are loads of things to do when I get home, starting with appointments for tomorrow, so it won't take too long to settle into a new routine, I'm just not sure I really want to! At least it's an interesting train journey through some beautiful scenery to ease me back.

From the train window 

The walk itself has been one enormous treat. Everyday, at some point, I have said to myself "This is wonderful". I could have spent more time in some areas as there are a few things that I missed seeing but at least that means there will have to be a return visit.

Many thanks to my daughters Sarah & Nessa for the encouragement and support and also to the people who opened their homes, fed and watered me. Thank you Allan & Emma, Jacky, Andy & Joy, Paul, Martin & Sue.

I keep being asked what was the best part and I really can't say, the complete journey was so good and, at this time, no individual bits stand out. Maybe when I have had time to digest all the elements some exceptional bits will float to the top.

The only thing that stands out at this stage is the people that I have met along the way and the interesting conversations, particularly Steve, who walked with me for a few days on the Pembrokeshire Coast Path, and Bea, who   I met in Meal Bhuidhe Bothy and subsequently walked with on a couple of occasions.

The worst bits? Probably top of the list would be the walk along the fairly narrow road with heavy traffic in the pouring rain into Keynsham, although it didn't last long. Apart from that the only other unpleasantness was the hot spell which, unusually, lasted for quite a long time. Clegs in sunshine, midges morning and evening, the only way to escape  was to get into the closed tent which turned into an oven in the sunshine. Outside the insects were waiting.

The gear I took with me all worked well, there was nothing I didn't use at some stage and nothing else that I needed and didn't bring. I wore out three and a half pairs of shoes but was very pleased with the way they performed, I have had no significant foot problems although it will be nice to have dry feet when I get home, about the only thing I'm looking forward to!

In my rough plan I estimated doing 15 miles a day, including rest days, the actual figure for the 140 days of the walk was 16.2 miles per day a total of 2270 miles.


Thanks for your interest.


I wonder what I'll do next?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Roger what a
Fantastic effort
Looking forward to hearing more of the stories

Neil

Andy said...

Welcome Home. Andy

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Roger. What an incredible achievement. You must be so healthy! Jack Boston.

Phreerunner said...

Well done Roger. That went quickly! I'm surprised you missed Shetland... and Iceland! Ha!