Tuesday 11 July 2023

Day one hundred and thirty three - Melvich to Thurso

July 10th.

A bright sunny start to the day with thunder showers forecast, little wind.

A road walk today on the cycle route to Thurso.
Started with a slight detour down to the river mouth and past the Big House.
On the main road then to Reay where I knew the shop had closed and didn't expect anything else so was pleasantly surprised to see the Golf Club advertising coffee and snacks.
Suitably fortified I turned off onto the minor road and cycle route but there wasn't much less traffic on it.
I didn't get a good look at the Dounreay power station as my route went inland.
The Dounreay dome just visible 
There were black clouds and thunder all around me and I was beginning to feel lucky, but the heavens opened.
Just a bit further along there was a wee shop and kitchen so I managed to shelter there while the worst moved over (more coffee!)
The rain eased then and by the time I reached Thurso it was hot and sunny again.
Thurso Hospital 
Stopped at the Pentland campsite, looking at the Orkney ferry and Hoy in the distance.





17.5 miles walked 300 meters ascent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A nice little island-hop boat trip to round it all off? Jacky