Sunday 2 July 2023

Day one hundred and twenty three - Strathchailleach to Kervaig Bothy

1st July.

The day started with threatening low cloud which developed into some extremely squally showers before turning to showers and sunny intervals in the afternoon.

Only me in the bothy last night, probably just as well as my socks had been drying by the fire. I was enjoying dry feet until I stepped out of the door into the wet grass, heather and bog. Still it was nice for a moment!
Across the boggy ground and over the hill to get to the Cape Wrath 'road'. The cloud lifted occasionally to reveal the miles of nothing.
There were a couple of severe squalls as I went over the highest bit, luckily from behind, but it was less boggy there so a bit easier underfoot.
I saw a Hen Harrier hunting across the bogs just before I got to the road.
The last time I was here it was impossible to see the lighthouse from more than 50 yards, much better today.
The Ozone Café at the lighthouse supplied beans on toast and tea. There is also a bunkhouse here now.

A walk round to take some pictures and back for another cup of tea. I was told that the firing had been cancelled last week so the range had been open, not that it would have made any difference to my plans, also that the ferry wasn't running today due to the weather.

I had planned to stay at Kervaig Bothy anyway, I just hope the ferry is running tomorrow.
Road and track to Kervaig. The bothy is in a stunning location next to the sea and is in immaculate condition, there is even an extra single room at the end which I moved into so if a group arrives later I won't be disturbed. Unlikely in this case with no ferry but there could be others finishing the CWT who can't get off the Cape tonight.
Drying socks again tonight, I live in hope.


11.5 miles walked 450 meters ascent.


No comments: