Wednesday 5 July 2023

Day one hundred and twenty eight - Mudale to Syre

5th July.

A windless midgy start to a showery day, some heavy.

All road walking today but almost no traffic.
The first bit was down the glen to Altnaharra which shares the distinction with Braemar of recording the lowest temperature in Britain,- 27.2 C

Altnaharra Hotel

I went into the Altnaharra Hotel, more in hope than expectation, to inquire about breakfast.

I was told that breakfasts were just finishing but he could do me a bacon roll and pot of tea. A very different attitude to Oykel Bridge.
Suitably fortified I carried on alongside Loch Naver. This area is famous for the brutal evictions carried out by Patrick Sellers in the name of the Duke of Sutherland at the beginning of the 19th century.
There are several named sites of old villages but little to see in reality.
Amazing how many people lived around here and now there is basically no-one.
A heavy shower was creeping up behind me so when I saw a flat patch of ground I stuck the tent up, jumped in and listened to the rain, with a nice cup of tea.

15 miles walked 200 meters ascent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Winding down gently. Savouring. Enjoy, J