Friday 24 March 2023

Day twenty four - Keynsham to Old Sodbury

 A bright sunny start to the day but rain forecast for later. Set off from Keynsham to see some of the places I misspent my youth in.

Leaving Keynsham 
 

Visiting Bitten and Upton Cheyney, where my brother went to primary school, now closed,  and through the Golden Valley to Wick where the café provided sustenance, the pub is now closed and doesn't look like reopening.

The Ancestral Home in Abson

 
I was hoping to visit the ancestral home but unfortunately neither the house or grounds were open to the public today.
Abson Garage

 The only remaining business in the village, the farms being long gone, is the garage which will be closing at the end of the year leaving nothing.

Looking back to Abson Church









On to Doynton and Codrington where a very heavy shower of rain and hail forced me in for lunch, how convenient.

Pub at Codrington
Onwards damply to Chipping Sodbury and then Old Sodbury for the night.
The picture says it all

18 miles walked 400 meters ascent

4 comments:

Andy said...

Ho, Ho! It does not surprise me that there is little left in Abson. Did you find it emotional? Andy

Anonymous said...

I’m glad you got the view from the stream up to the church. That’s a very significant view. I had lots of adventures around that stream.

Paul said...

I’m glad you got the view of the church from the stream. That’s a very significant view. I had lots of adventures down there by the stream and in it. Abson’s no fun anymore but that view looks the same.

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well. The Golden Valley. So lovely.
Where Dad took me for my 12th birthday ride on my new second-hand drop-handle racing-green bicycle.
With sandwiches. Such a treat.
Some things just don’t change!
J