Saturday 11 May 2024

Day 3 Kinbreak to Laddie Wood

 11th May

A bright sunny morning. No-one arrived last night so I had the bothy to myself,not even a mouse for company.

River Kingie
The hardest part of wading the river was climbing up the bank on the far side.
Glen Kingie
This is a beautiful empty glen and I didn't see anyone until reaching Glen Garry where I met a few Challengers who had. started at Sheil Bridge.
More Glen Kingie, it seems to have changed colour
The path takes a high route on the North side of the glen with fantastic views back to the bothy and the hills beyond. including the sight of a Golden Eagle that took off from beside a burn well below the path and after a couple of wing flaps found a thermal and went up to at least 500 feet before climbing up and across the glen, all with no more than 20 wing strokes.
No eagle picture, I tried but only got sky and blurry bits.
When I did enter a stand of trees, giving some welcome shade, I looked up at one point and there was a pair of White Tailed Eagles flying just above the trees.
River Kingie 
There has been extensive tree harvesting in this area so the walk has much better views than the last time I was here, there was one section  that was hard on the feet where they had improved the track for lorries with 2" stones.
Felled Forest
A hot walk in the sunshine, good training for Spain. Three ticks today, I must have picked them up after crossing the river because the rest of the walk was on a track. There were a lot of deer in that area last night. FC

I even needed to practice putting stones on the tent pegs due to the stoney ground, will be useful in Spain.


17.5 miles walked 650 meters ascent


2 comments:

Phreerunner said...

Well done Roger. Good to see you going well.

Roger B said...

Thanks Martin