Sunday, 5 July 2026

Kungsleden 03/07/26

Day 3. Sälka to Kaitum

Bright sunshine at 05.30 woke me up and it stayed bright for most of the day with only a light shower in the early afternoon.

Morning boardwalk 

Amazing weather 

Perfect still morning 

Glacial water

Some bridges are very good 

Some less so!

Lines of dwarf willow define watercourses 

Boardwalk skirting the lake 

Looking back up the valley 

Moose poo

Last bridge of the day

View from near Kaitumjaure Fjällstuga 


The insects had a lovely time as the wind was very light and at times nonexistent. I don't think that I got too badly bitten but I'll know better in the morning.


The views were incredible as I walked down the valley and I caught a glimpse of the hillsh around Kebnekaise, Sweden's highest peak.


I was slightly tempted to go to the top but woud have been an extra two days and when I read that the it was like climbing Ben Nevis by the tourist route and just as crowded I wasn't tempted.


The trail was quite busy and there were usually some people in view, dwarfed by the huge scenery, quite photogenic.


The vegetation started to increase as I descend with dwarf willow defining the water courses and bits of scrubby birch appearing as I approached the Fjällstuga.


Bird life appeared as well with Redshank, Redstart and lower down Willow Warbler and Cuckoo. There were a few pairs of Arctic Terns flying around as well but I saw no raptors probably because I was too busy trying not to fall over on the rocky path.


I decided to have a bunk in the Fjällstuga to escape the insects. The hut wasn't too busy and I had a room to myself.


I had my first sauna as well, very hot and sweaty but good.


23.8km walked.

125m ascent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Striking scenery and goodly weather.
How's it going with the language, anything recognisable…?
Maybe lots of people speak English anyway? J

Roger B said...

Luckily English is the common language spoken by nearly everyone