Friday, 28 August 2026

A weekend on Arran

 21-23 August 

The weather was perfect for the Over the Hill Club weekend at the National Trust hostel just outside Brodik on the Isle of Arran.

Claonaig to Lochranza ferry
The evenings were spent in the hostel with excellent meals organised by Issy on Friday, Fran and Allan on Saturday and Cath and Rob on Sunday. Thanks to you all and especially Issy for organising the whole weekend.
Lounge at the Hostel 
On Saturday morning I walked up Glen Rosa before turning up Garbh Allt towards Ben Nuis and the start of the horseshoe of hills around the glen.
Glen Rosa
I met Graham on top of the first Corbett, Beinn Tarsuin, which he had ascended from a different direction. Beinn Tarsuin was the only hill on this circuit that I hadn't climbed before. I had a look at climbing over A'Chir, a rocky section of the ridge before the next top, but decided that it was too technical for me so retraced my steps and took the bypass.

Interesting rock formation
I met Graham again and we stopped for lunch before he went to climb Caisteal Abhail and I continued on the ridge to Cir Mhor. I found out later that Graham slipped on his way down Caisteal Abhail and broke his arm. Luckily there were two people nearby who helped him off the hill and took him back to the hostel.
Looking back to A'Chir 
There is a steep rocky descent to The Saddle followed by an even steeper and rockier ascent to North Goat Fell. From there the ridge continues over or around some more awkward, rocky lumps before the final climb to the top of Goat Fell.
North Goat Fell and Goat Fell from The Saddle 
The first part of the descent is steep but it soon eases to a good path that goes back to the Hostel.
Goat Fell

The next day I drove round to Pirnmill to climb Mullach Buidhe and it's associated ridge. This would complete all the major hills on Arran.
First top along the ridge
This ridge was a much easier walk than yesterday, starting with a steady climb up to Beinn Bharrain. The ridge has three tops, Mullach Buidhe being the highest at 721m but the other two are almost the same height at 717 and 711 with relatively small drops between them.
Goat Fell from Mullach Buidhe 
The descent becomes quite steep as it drops off the end of the ridge to Coirein Lochain where there is a beautiful camp spot by the lake.
Coirein Lochain
Down to the road then for the short walk back to the car and the Lighthouse Restaurant at Pirnmill for Coffee and cake before driving back to Brodik for the final night at the hostel.
Looking back to Coirein Lochain
An excellent weekend that was enjoyed by everyone except perhaps Graham, who I hope recovers quickly.
Leaving Arran


No comments: