Friday 5 July 2024

GR11 Day 31 Estany de Baiau to Arinsal

 5th July

A warmish night, considering the altitude. I woke about 01.30 and the stars were just incredible, no need for a tent door.

Beautiful morning 
Away fairly early to tackle the ascent to the Portella de Baiau, as I thought from yesterday's view it was as nasty as expected.
Nasty scree slope
Boulders at the bottom and a very steep scree slope at the top with a few snow patches to keep the interest.
It only got worse!
I was glad to climb it in the shade as I think if it had been hot as well I would have given up, although the descent could have been worse.
The top, looking easier the Andoran side.
Once the top was reached it was a straightforward descent, although very long, about 1300 meters.
Descending 
The trees gave some shelter towards the bottom and I suddenly arrived at the ski resort of Arinsal.
Shady trees
To get to the village required walking through a road tunnel under the avalanche wall before arriving at the mass of hotels and bars which is Arinsal.
Road tunnel through the avalanche wall 
It was hotter today than it has been and after the climb and descent in the sun I was quite happy to take a short day and stop here.
Arinsal 


No comments: