Sunday 29 September 2024

SW Coast Path, Day 6

 Day 6, 29th September.

As forecast the wind started at around 02.00, the ear plugs worked well and I slept until daylight.

Down the lane from the campsite 
It was very windy as I climbed up to the clifftop again and walking was difficult with the wind blowing me sideways.
Rame head in the distance 
There was rain forecast for later and my ambition was to get to Rame head before it started. The walking was partly on the road or beside it which made for fast going and there was little traffic.
Path by the road approaching Tregonhawke 
It was extremely windy when I reached Rame Head with it's old tower and gun platform, the rain starting just as I walked away from it and I sheltered behind a gorse bush to put on waterproofs.
Rame Head 
Luckily the path was reasonably protected but gorse and other bushes which made walking quite pleasant despite the wind and light rain.
Looking back to Rame Head.
I stopped for lunch at Kings and the heavy rain started. Very unpleasant the next bit but then reached the shelter of the trees, still very wet but not blowing as hard.




17 miles 1000 meters ascent.
There were loads of sweets chestnuts on the path and a variety of leaves, twigs and branches. I was wondering if the ferry would be running across the river.
A bit rough
It felt a bit strange walking through Edcumbe country park with people looking out of the orangery as I walked past.
The formal garden
When I arrived at the pier the ferry was just coming in, I would get a dry bed tonight!
Ferry approaching in the rain
The cheapest accommodation in town was, as usual, a grand hotel that had seen better days and now mainly does coach tours.
The Duke of Cornwall Hotel 


17 miles 1000 meters ascent 

No comments: